Only 30 minutes by boat lies the Nusa paradise: 2 smaller islands Nusa Lembongan and Nusa Ceningan followed by bigger Nusa Penida (which I plan to visit soon). Islands are perfect spot for kick back and relax, they are small so you don’t need to plan activities in advance, unless you have not much time.
The guide to Nusa Lembongan
Get there and around
From Bali catch a speedboat in Sanur. There are several companies which provide as well pick up and drop off, round trips including Gili islands and/or Lombok. It’s worth to buy round trip, price is better than separate trips.
Island is small, you can easily get around by walk, so far roads connect main attractions, hotels and restaurants, however consider that it may be a bit uncomfortable because of hot air or rain showers during rainy season.
Or rent a scooter (from 80.000 Rp) if you don’t have much time left. Our scooter didn’t have mirrors, brakes were almost not working, engine dying (tuff situation when you need to climb steep road) and of course without helmets, so we could improve proficiency in driving indonesian way 🙂 By scooter we travelled around entire island within 1 day. There are almost no cars, roads are narrow and full of holes, so be careful.
Things to do
- WATER ACTIVITIES – snorkelling, diving, boat trip with waterslide – depends on your preferences, but Nusa Lembongan is place where you definitely won’t be bored.
- MANGROVE FORREST – located in the northern part of island. You can stroll over by yourself or take a boat for approx. 100.000 Rp (more people = better price & don’t forget to BARGAIN!) for approx. 30 minutes ride.
- DEVIL’S TEAR – to be honest, I couldn’t find words to describe how small I felt when we reached Devil’s Tear and saw massive waves – my top experience! Located between Dream Beach and Sunset Beach you can’t miss it!
- GET TAN – clear turquoise water, white sand, fresh breeze, yeah life is better on the beach. The most famous are Dream Beach, Mushroom Beach (called by locals Tanjung Sang Yang Beach), Sunset Beach, Coconut Beach (called by locals Song Lambing Beach)
- RELAX – practice yoga, have a blast and treat yourself in spa, or just enjoy moments 🙂
Accommodation & food
Even from harbour you’ll see beautiful small villas located on the cliff with amazing view. Depends on your budget, you can find nice huts or villas for affordable price at a cliff edges of northern side or royal class beachfront resorts. Backpackers may discover some nice places via Airbnb.
I have a little gift for you – 20$ for your next trip taken with Airbnb. Find your dream accommodation & pick up 20$ credit for upcoming trip! 🙂
From traditional warungs to high class seafood. Hungry eyes won’t starving, sipping cocktail with seaview your thirsty heart will melt. I love Indonesian food and prefer to eat in warungs. Prices are usually 50% higher than in Bali.
IMPORTANT TIP: Nusa Lembongan has only 1 ATM (location) which is frequently out of order. Don’t forget to bring cash, hotels usually accept credit cards but still there are places which accept only cash. Other option are money changers – fee is approx. 6%.