I have started to write this post at the airport in Jakarta to make myself busy while waiting for the flight. 7 hours of waiting already passed, 3 more flights ahead and my head full of thoughts.
I still couldn´t believe what was about to happen in few hours. I will see my family and my friends in Slovakia after a year spent abroad. Sounds insane!
I´m back already few days, fought a cultural shock, sore throat, ate tons of food and had time to think about this year in Indonesia.
Indonesia was not always a happy place for me. It was the first time when I left Slovakia for such a long time without my family, friends and the things that I´m used to.
Sometimes I fought loneliness, sometimes I felt dissatisfied but I´ve learnt lessons about myself that are priceless.
When I was leaving in August last year everybody was trying to demotivate me how bad it will be, how I can´t live in dirt and crazyness there. Neither Indonesia isn´t perfect, nor Bali isn´t also. But the that special energy is supernatural and worth to experience in person.
Alright, so let´s sum up these crazy adventures I´ve gone through
- spent 350 days abroad
- taught English in Java
- celebrates birthday and end up in the pool at midnight
- was falling asleep with sound of Geko
- changed 3 motorbike
- accidents in total = 3
- driven more than 20 000 kilometers
- visited 9 islands (out of 17 000 – hmm, still have some job to do :))
- climbed 2 volcanos and watched sunrises
- met people from more than 40 countries
- changed apartment 5 times
- changes 8 flatmates
- destroyed 3 swimsuits
- ate approx. 55 kilos of rice (according to my records)
- drunk Bintangs I didn´t count 🙂
- experienced the craziest parties
- took 8 ferries and 14 flights
- felt like home on Christmas Eve with Slovak and Czech friends who prepared traditional dinner
- watched NYE fireworks at the beach
- swam in 3 waterfalls
- selected the best coffee beans with local women in the coffee factory
- attended a Balinese wedding
- saw the most beautiful starry sky during Nyepi
- helped to make tofu in the local factory
- visited more than 10 different temples and several ceremonies around the island
- became a millionaire
- played in the Gamelan orchestra
- tried Balinese dance
- got stuck in the jungle because of Google Maps several times
- cooked Gado-Gado and Lumpia
- went snorkeling and saw beautiful vivid coral reefs
- gained my second Balinese family
- intensified my love with our diverse and beautiful world
It may not be easy to step out of the comfort zone, leave everything behind and take off somewhere far to pursue the things we are craving for. But the stories, nice people out there and breathtaking places are rewarding.
I feel so thrilled that my Indonesian experience will continue for one more year and can´t wait to share new stories with you 🙂
Golden Kompass18. October 2016 at 11:50
awesome blog post & stunning pictures. Keep traveling!
Michel Struharova1. November 2016 at 13:22
Thank you guys 🙂
One day she quit her job, now she lives in Bali | Golden Kompass Worldwide18. October 2016 at 12:06
[…] to Bali. To study indonesian language. To write. To travel. To be Happy. Read her blog post ‘Photo diary from Indonesia: my year of adventures‘ about ideas How you can spend a one year in Indonesia. Happy is the new […]